Managing Director, China
Catalyze a Global Transformation of the Food System
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is on the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of billions of animals annually. GFI’s Managing Director for China will serve as an independent contractor orchestrating the regional expansion of our efforts to replace factory-farmed products with plant-based and clean meat. By harnessing the power of science and innovation, GFI’s managing director for China will help make delicious, healthy, sustainable, and affordable food available to as many people around the world as possible.
How You Will Make a Difference
GFI is expanding its work to China and is looking for an independent contractor to assist in incorporating a new legal entity and to help lay the groundwork for the expansion of our programs into China. Once GFI has established a legal entity in China, we will hire an executive director to run the new operations. To ensure a smooth transition and continued operations in China, GFI would prefer to hire an independent contractor who will also be interested in applying for the executive director position.
The independent contractor will complete the following projects:
- Establishment of legal entity: Find local attorneys to advise us on the types of legal entities we could establish in China (e.g. non-profit or public benefit corporation) and then work with the director of international engagement and the local attorneys to incorporate the legal entity.
- Memorandum on food regulations: Find and oversee local experts in drafting a memorandum explaining the legal and regulatory framework affecting plant-based and clean meat products in your country and recommending policy initiatives to advocate for favorable regulations of these products.
- Databases: Develop databases of key players in the field in the following subject areas:
- Science: scientists, research institutions, and organizations;
- Business: plant-based meat, dairy, and egg companies; clean meat, dairy, and egg companies; animal agriculture companies; retailers; distributors; and suppliers;
- Policy: government entities, government representatives, government innovation, or economic development programs; any other government funding programs;
- Investment and innovation: venture capitalists, incubators and accelerators, and individuals who are interested in investing capital;
- Development: foundations and individuals interested in donating to GFI or furthering GFI’s mission; and
- Mission-aligned organizations: organizations working on issues aligned with GFI-China’s mission including protecting the environment and animals; advocating for food safety and security; and alleviating hunger, antibiotic resistance, and diseases resulting from the consumption or overconsumption of animal products.
- Establishing relationships: Work with the director of international engagement to prioritize and establish relationships with key players in science, business, investment, innovation, policy, and development.
- Advisory council: Identify key players in the country who could advance the interests of GFI in China and who may be interested in serving on a Chinese advisory council.
- Communications: Craft a communications plan to advance GFI’s mission in China and assist the director of international engagement in executing the plan.
- Development: Craft a fundraising plan to hire more staff and advance GFI’s mission in China and assist the director of international engagement in executing the plan.
Who We’re Looking For
We are seeking smart, thoughtful, and creative self-starters who want to push back against climate change, transform industrial animal agriculture, and develop healthy and humane foods that are accessible to everyone.
We are considering applicants with:
- Willingness and ability to work as an independent contractor.
- Fluency in English and Mandarin.
- Residency in China.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including networking and public speaking is required.
- Experience creating or overseeing the creation of a nonprofit or other legal entity is preferred.
- Experience developing and implementing communications programs including marketing, advertising, social media, and media relations is preferred.
- Experience developing and implementing fundraising programs for nonprofits with a preference for work with high net-worth individuals and major gifts is preferred.
- Degree or experience in law, related-science, or government preferred.
- Firsthand knowledge of Chinese cultural, business, and legal norms.
Enjoy working from home, room for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues at The Good Food Institute!
Application Deadline: March 30, 2018
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the Good Food Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran. GFI complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Please complete the form below to apply for this position.