Regional Manager, China
Catalyze a global transformation of the food system
The Good Food Institute (GFI) is on the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic efficacy and the exploitation of billions of animals annually. The Regional Manager will orchestrate the regional expansion of our efforts to replace factory-farmed products with plant-based and “clean” alternatives. By harnessing the power of international markets and brainpower, they will help make delicious, healthy, sustainable, affordable, animal-free food available to as many people around the world as possible.
How You Will Make a Difference
You will be breaking entirely new ground for GFI. Your project is to help lay groundwork for the expansion of our programs into China. There are three main components to this project:
- Mapping out the legal landscape and the key players in the field.
- Analyzing local laws to determine how to set up a legal entity in the region.
- Outlining the legal and regulatory framework affecting plant-based and clean meat products.
- Developing lists of the companies, researchers, and organizations already working in the field, and the venture capitalists, foundations, universities, and individuals who are interested in investing capital.
- Developing the plant-based and clean meat community.
- Fostering connections between entrepreneurs and scientists developing plant-based and clean products.
- Engaging professors and students at top research universities.
- Crafting a communications plan to cultivate new followers and mobilize them to support mission-aligned initiatives and startups.
- Engineering medium- and long-term strategies for continued success in the region.
- Working with regulators and elected officials to ensure the legal landscape is conducive to the development, production, import/export, and sale of plant-based and clean meat products.
- Persuading investors and government officials to invest support the advancement of plant-based and clean meat as solutions to various high-priority problems, including climate change, food security, and public health.
- Researching how local tastes and cultures may present unique constraints or opportunities to product development in China.
Who We’re Looking For
We are seeking smart, thoughtful, and creative self-starters who want to push back against climate change, transform industrial animal agriculture, and develop healthy and humane foods that are accessible to everyone.
We are considering contractors with:
- Willingness and ability to work as an independent contractor.
- Fluency in Standard Chinese.
- Residency in the region or ability to relocate to the region.
- Intimate knowledge of processes for starting companies and engaging investors in China.
- Legal fluency sufficient to navigate Chinese laws arounds international trade, legal entity establishment, and the development and sale of food products.
- Mastery of basic market research tools and techniques.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including networking, public speaking, and media relations.
- Firsthand knowledge of Chinese cultural, business, and legal norms to uniquely complement the knowledge base of GFI staff.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the Good Food Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran. GFI complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Please complete the form below to apply for this position.