As a global expert in this sector, GFI works to ensure that the best scientists in the world are engaged in plant-based, cultivated, and fermentation-derived proteins R&D; facilitates collaboration and research in this area; and works to direct the funding of the most promising scientific endeavors to transform agriculture away from the industrial farming of animals.
How You Will Make a Difference
The Science and Technology Specialist will be responsible for:
- Creating a map of academic and private sector labs, corporate R&D, tissue engineers, and food, plant and fermentation scientists relevant to the alternative proteins industry, and building the science community through meetings, outreach, and information sharing.
- Motivating future developers and innovators through academic lectures, science webinars, workshops, community building, and curriculum development (in partnership with academia).
- Identifying and making information available on collaboration and funding opportunities, as well as opportunities for research in plant-based, cultivated meat, and microbial technologies.
- Monitoring scientific advances in our space, writing blogs/updates, and communicating to audiences interested in the Asia Pacific region.
- Performing any other duties relevant to GFI’s mission, e.g., working with GFI’s U.S.-based SciTech team, leveraging expertise to support others on GFI’s global team, supporting local communication efforts, supporting start-ups, and performing general GFI staff duties and activities.
Who We’re Looking For
The Science and Technology Specialist must have:
- A Ph.D. in a relevant scientific field (e.g., stem cell biology, tissue engineering, biochemical engineering, synthetic biology, plant molecular biology, plant genetics, crop science), or the equivalent (e.g. a master’s degree plus at least five years of experience in R&D in a relevant industry). A background in food science or experience working with plant-based, cultivated, and fermentation-derived protein companies is a strong plus.
- A proven track record of cultivating relationships with individuals, corporations, academia, or industry.
- Previous relationship management and/or business development experience.
- An upbeat, engaging personality that will attract new influencers to support our mission.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Comfort with public speaking.
- Fluency in English and preferably also Chinese (Mandarin) or another Asian language.
- Experience analyzing scientific literature and conducting literature reviews.
- Functional understanding of the principles, methods, equipment, and techniques used in plant-based, cultivated and fermentation-derived proteins research and manufacturing.
- Ability to work independently and use sound judgment in decision making, including setting and managing priorities and meeting competing deadlines.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Strong support for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in public health, environmentalism, animal protection, or hunger relief.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
- Terms of Employment: Full-time employee or contract basis
- Reports to: Managing Director, APAC
- Location: Remote, based in major centrally located East Asian city or research environment
If you are interested in applying and meet the above criteria, please send your resume, cover letter in English and a filled out application form to email@example.com by May 31st 2020. The cover letter should include a brief description of your relevant experience to this position, what makes you qualified to lead this area, and what motivated you to apply for this role.