As 2017 draws to a close, we’re celebrating 10 of our favorite Good Food moments of 2017. From co-creating the world’s first plant-based meat innovation university course to launching GFI in Brazil and India, thank you for being part of the community that powers our progress.
Here are 10 moments to savor from 2017, when GFI ...
- Released the first-ever open-source scientific white papers presenting the current state of plant-based and clean meat science, pointing innovators toward high-impact areas for research, development, and company formation.
- Launched the world’s first university course on plant-based meat and an entrepreneur competition focused on plant-based seafood innovation, both in partnership with the University of California at Berkeley.
- Filed an official Petition for Rulemaking under the U.S. Administrative Procedure Act and Food Drug and Cosmetics Act to protect plant-based companies from labeling censorship that would put them at a disadvantage against animal-based industries. It's not our fault we're still waiting.
- Launched international engagement programs, hiring exceptional local talent to spearhead our work in Brazil and India. Check out Brazil-based Gus Guadagnini and India-based Varun Deshpande on GFI's team page!
- Educated and inspired the leaders of dozens of top Silicon Valley venture capital funds, institutional investment firms, big meat and food companies, and government investment funds about the incredible commercial promise of clean meat.
- Recruited the world’s first full-time lobbyist for clean and plant-based meat, and held GFI’s inaugural reception on Capitol Hill, hosted by Sen. Cory Booker, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, Rep. Ted Deutch, Rep. Jamie Raskin, Rep. Earl Blumenauer, and Rep. Brendan Boyle. Beyond Burgers were enjoyed by all, compliments of our good friends at Beyond Meat.
- Secured language in the U.S. Senate Agriculture Appropriations report encouraging the government to direct some of its $3 billion agricultural research budget to plant-based meat R&D.
- Became the authoritative voice on plant-based and clean meat, keynoting or presenting at several dozen conferences and events, from the Concordia Summit and Institute of Food Technologists annual meeting to multiple Future Food Tech gatherings and clean meat conferences in Israel and Europe.
- Inspired the brightest minds to explore careers in food innovation through outreach to tissue engineers, synthetic biologists, plant scientists, and entrepreneurs at MIT, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, and many other top U.S. business and science schools.
- Became recognized as the go-to source for the alternative proteins boom. GFI was published or cited in dozens of mainstream and industry media outlets, including the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and Washington Post. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for all the latest!