Protein products from red seaweeds
Technology areas addressed: ingredient characterization, protein extraction methodology
- Optimizes protein extraction processes in red seaweeds to meet quality specifications of food product formulators.
- Assesses the suitability of different species of red seaweed for cost-effective protein extraction.
- Characterizes taste, texture, and formulation properties of protein concentrates
and isolates from red seaweeds.
- Develops new ingredients for plant-based meat from a source that already has a large global supply chain, high protein content, outstanding umami flavor profile, and red color.
- Adds value to red seaweed protein, currently a sidestream of agar and carrageenan production.
Ms. Zotter’s Expertise
- Serves as principal investigator of a project funded by the Department of Energy’s ARPA-e program to demonstrate high-yield, low-cost, and scalable systems for offshore seaweed production.
- Leads a new venture in marine protein and fuel sources and works with the start-up companies at Cyclotron Road.
- Offers expertise in environmental science; public policy; and the intersection of technology, economics, and policy.