Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa) as a raw material for plant-based meat products
Technology areas addressed: crop optimization, ingredient processing, product formulation
- Characterizes five high-yield quinoa varieties for protein, fat, and fiber composition.
- Develops methods for preparation of quinoa protein concentrate and isolate.
- Prototypes quinoa-based partial or full meat replacement products.
- Develops quinoa as a novel plant-based complete protein source, including processing into flour, protein concentrate, and protein isolate.
- Optimizes quinoa protein yield through growing conditions and strain selection.
- Produces a quinoa-based meat with organoleptic properties matching those of conventional meat.
Dr. Benjamin’s Expertise
- Focuses research on structure and sensory characteristics for a wide variety of food products.
- Uses novel electronic tongue and nose with traditional techniques to characterize sensory aspects of food.
- Leads the charge toward building an institutional food-tech hub in Israel that bridges the gap between industry and academy.